Cruise ships are known for being massive and luxurious, but there’s one that takes the cake. Royal Caribbean International’s Icon of the Seas is the world’s largest cruise ship ever built. It’s five times larger than the Titanic. The ship was recently floated out to sea for the first time, and it received mixed reactions from the public. Some were amazed by its size and features, while others called it a ‘monstrosity‘ and a ‘nightmare‘.
What is Icon of the Seas?
Icon of the Seas is the first of a new class of ships from Royal Caribbean, called Icon Class. It was constructed in Finland by over 2,000 specialists. It took four years to complete. The ship is 20 decks high, 1,188 feet long, and 215 feet wide. It can accommodate up to 5,610 guests and 2,350 crew members.
The ship is divided into five neighborhoods, each with its own theme and attractions. They are:
– Thrill Island: A place for adrenaline junkies, featuring a waterpark with six waterslides, including the largest floating waterpark in the world.
– Chill Island: A place for relaxation, featuring seven pools, nine whirlpools, a swim-up bar, and an adults-only retreat.
– Surfside: A place for families, featuring a carousel, an arcade, a surf simulator, and a kids’ club.
– The Hideaway: A place for romance, featuring a beach club with ocean views, cabanas, hammocks, and fire pits.
– Aqua Dome: A place for entertainment, featuring a giant waterfall, a theater, a casino, and a nightclub.
The ship also boasts over 40 dining options, ranging from casual cafes to fine-dining restaurants. Some of the highlights include:
– Wonderland: A whimsical restaurant inspired by Alice in Wonderland, where guests can enjoy molecular gastronomy and creative cocktails.
– Jamie’s Italian: A rustic restaurant by celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, where guests can savor authentic Italian dishes made with fresh ingredients.
– Izumi: A sleek restaurant that offers sushi, sashimi, teppanyaki, and other Japanese specialties.
– Chops Grille: A classic steakhouse that serves prime cuts of meat and seafood in an elegant setting.
What are the reactions to Icon of the Seas?
The ship has been generating a lot of buzz since its launch. Some people are impressed by its size and features, and are eager to book a cruise on it. Others are not so enthusiastic, and have criticized it for being too big, too crowded, too wasteful, or too ugly.
Here are some of the comments from social media:
– “The world’s largest monstrosity of a cruise ship, Icon of the seas 7,600 max capacity, 20 decks. That does NOT look relaxing at all” – @jennifermcgrath
– “I love a cruise but I’m getting nervous just looking at all that stuff, looks like it’ll sink it’s so heavy” – @karenhughes
– “That boat looks like something from a nightmare” – @davidsmith
– “Wow! That’s amazing! I would love to go on that ship!” – @lisawilson
– “Icon of the Seas looks incredible! I can’t wait to see it in person!” – @michaeljones
– “This is what dreams are made of! Icon of the Seas is the ultimate cruise experience!” – @sarahbrown
When and where can you cruise on ‘Icon of the Seas’?
The ship is scheduled to make its debut in January 2024. It will be based in Miami, Florida, and will offer seven-night cruises to the Caribbean. The prices start from $1,499 per person for an interior cabin.
If you’re interested in cruising on Icon of the Seas, you can visit Royal Caribbean’s website to learn more and book your trip. But hurry up, because the demand is high and the availability is limited.
Are you ready to embark on an epic adventure on the world’s largest cruise ship? Or do you think it’s a ‘monstrosity’ that should be avoided? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!