Wayne Brady is one of the most versatile and talented entertainers in the industry today. He is best known for his hilarious improvisational skills on the hit show Whose Line Is It Anyway?, his hosting duties on Let’s Make a Deal, and his singing and acting abilities on various stage and screen projects. But how much do you know about his personal life, his net worth, and his latest endeavors? Here are some facts and trivia about Wayne Brady that you may not have known.
Early Life and Education
- Wayne Brady was born on June 2, 1972, in Columbus, Georgia, to West Indian parents. He moved to Orlando, Florida, as a young child to live with his grandmother and aunt, who he considers his mom. He developed a stutter as a child and was bullied by other kids, but he overcame his shyness by performing in community theater and improv comedy. He graduated from Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando in 1989 and briefly attended the University of Miami before pursuing his acting career in Los Angeles in 1996.
Family and Relationships
- Wayne Brady has been married twice and has one daughter. His first marriage was to singer Diana Lasso from 1993 to 1995. His second marriage was to actress Mandie Taketa from 1999 to 2008. They have a daughter named Maile Masako Brady, who was born in 2003 and has followed her parents’ footsteps in acting. Wayne and Mandie have remained close friends and co-parents after their divorce, even quarantining together with their daughter and Mandie’s boyfriend during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Net Worth and Awards
- Wayne Brady has a net worth of $12 million as of 2023, according to Celebrity Net Worth. He has earned his fortune from his various roles in television, film, theater, and music. He has won five Emmy Awards for his work on Whose Line Is It Anyway?, The Wayne Brady Show, and Let’s Make a Deal. He has also been nominated for a Grammy Award for his cover of Sam Cooke’s “A Change Is Gonna Come” in 2009.
- Wayne Brady has appeared in several movies and TV shows besides Whose Line Is It Anyway? and Let’s Make a Deal. Some of his notable credits include The Good Fight, How I Met Your Mother, Black Lightning, Kinky Boots, Hamilton, Rent, Foodfight!, Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild, Clifford’s Really Big Movie, and The Masked Singer. He has also voiced characters in animated shows such as Sofia the First, Phineas and Ferb, The Loud House, American Dad!, Robot Chicken, and The Simpsons.
Sexuality and Activism
- Wayne Brady came out as pansexual in an interview with People magazine in August 2023. He said that he identifies as pansexual because he can be attracted to anyone who identifies as gay, straight, bi, transsexual or nonbinary. He said that he had suppressed his sexuality for years because of how he was raised and the fear of how people would react. He said that he decided to come out to be honest with himself and to inspire others who may be struggling with their identity.
Wayne Brady is a multi-faceted star who has proven his talent and charisma in various fields of entertainment. He is also a proud father, a supportive friend, and an advocate for mental health and LGBTQ+ rights. He continues to entertain and inspire millions of fans with his humor, creativity, and courage.