Selena Gomez Deletes Instagram Account, But Why?
Selena Gomez, the pop star and actress with over 430 million followers on Instagram, has announced that she is deleting her account from the social media platform. But what prompted her to make this drastic decision, and how did her fans react?
Selena’s controversial post on the Gaza conflict
The reason behind Selena’s decision to delete her Instagram account seems to be related to the backlash she faced over her comments on the Gaza conflict.
On Monday, October 30, Selena posted a story on Instagram, where she expressed her sadness and frustration over the violence and horror that was happening in the world, especially in Gaza, where Israel and Palestine have been engaged in a deadly conflict for decades.
Selena wrote: “I’ve been taking a break from social media because my heart breaks to see all of the horror, hate, violence and terror that’s going on in the world. People being tortured and killed or any act of hate towards any one group is horrific.
We need to protect ALL people, especially children and stop the violence for good. I’m sorry if my words will never be enough for everyone or a hashtag. I just can’t stand by innocent people getting hurt. That’s what makes me sick. I wish I could change the world. But a post won’t. Love, Selena.”
However, Selena’s post did not sit well with many people, who criticized her for taking a neutral stance, despite recently liking a pro-Israel post by comedian Amy Schumer, and despite having a massive following on Instagram.
Some accused her of being hypocritical, ignorant, or indifferent to the plight of the Palestinians, who have been suffering from oppression, occupation, and human rights violations by Israel for years. Others urged her to use her platform and influence to raise awareness and support for the Palestinian cause, and to condemn Israel’s aggression and atrocities.
Some of the comments that Selena received on social media were:
- “Selena Gomez is literally the 3rd most followed person on Instagram with almost half a BILLION followers. A post WILL make a difference. This is why I’m annoyed when celebs make a “neutral” statement. They do it only because of their reputation. Not because they genuinely care.”
- “I love Selena Gomez but this is the saddest excuse of a Instagram story that I’ve ever seen.”
- “Selena Gomez is a coward. She liked a post supporting Israel and then made a vague statement about the situation in Palestine. She doesn’t care about human rights, she only cares about her image.”
- “Selena Gomez, you have the power to make a difference. You have the power to save lives. You have the power to stand with Palestine. Don’t be silent. Don’t be neutral. Don’t be complicit. Speak up. Speak out. Speak the truth.”
Selena Gomez’s response and decision to delete her account
Selena did not respond directly to the criticism or the comments that she received, but on Thursday, November 2, she posted another story on Instagram, where she announced that she was deleting her account. She wrote: “I am taking a break and deleting my Instagram. I’m done. I do not support any of what’s going on.”
She deleted the story shortly after, but not before it was captured and shared by many of her fans and followers. Her Instagram account was still active at the time of writing this article, but it is unclear whether she will follow through with her decision to delete it or not.
Selena’s fans were divided over her decision to delete her account. Some supported her and respected her choice, while others were disappointed and sad. Some of the reactions that Selena received on social media were:
- “Selena Gomez, I love you and I support you. You don’t deserve the hate and the negativity that you get. You are a beautiful and kind person who always tries to do good. You have every right to take a break and delete your Instagram. Your mental health comes first. Take care of yourself.”
- “Selena Gomez, please don’t delete your Instagram. You are an inspiration and a role model to millions of people. You have a voice and a platform that can make a positive impact on the world. You have a responsibility to use it wisely and courageously. Don’t let the haters silence you.”
- “Selena Gomez, I’m so disappointed in you. You are deleting your Instagram because you can’t handle the truth and the criticism. You are running away from your accountability and your duty. You are betraying your fans and your values. You are wasting your opportunity and your privilege.”
- “Selena Gomez, I’m so sad that you are deleting your Instagram. You are one of my favorite celebrities and I always look forward to your posts and stories. You make me happy and hopeful. You are a talented and amazing person who deserves all the love and success. Please don’t go.”
Selena Gomez’s history with social media and mental health
This is not the first time that Selena has decided to take a break from social media or delete her account. In fact, Selena has a history of struggling with social media and its impact on her mental health.
In 2018, Selena revealed that she deleted Instagram from her phone because it made her feel depressed and insecure. She said: “It would make me feel not good about myself, and look at my body differently, and all kinds of stuff.”
Selena also admitted that she used to be addicted to social media and that it affected her self-esteem and happiness. She said: “I used to a lot, but I think it’s just become really unhealthy, I think, personally, for young people, including myself, to spend all of their time fixating on all these comments and letting this stuff in, and it was affecting me.”
Selena has been open about her mental health issues and her struggles with anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder. She has sought professional help and treatment several times, and has advocated for mental health awareness and support. She has also launched her own beauty brand, Rare Beauty, which aims to promote self-love and acceptance, and to challenge unrealistic beauty standards and expectations.
Selena has said that she wants to use her fame and influence for good and to make a positive difference in the world. She has been involved in various humanitarian and charitable causes, such as UNICEF, WE Charity, and Black Lives Matter. She has also spoken out on various social and political issues, such as immigration, human trafficking, and voting rights.
Selena Gomez is one of the most popular and influential celebrities in the world, with a huge fan base and a successful career in music and acting.
However, she is also a human being who has her own feelings, opinions, and challenges. She has faced a lot of criticism and backlash over her comments on the Gaza conflict, and has decided to delete her Instagram account as a result.
Whether she will actually do it or not, and whether she will come back or not, remains to be seen. But one thing is certain: Selena Gomez is not afraid to speak her mind and to stand up for what she believes in, even if it means losing some followers or fans.