Red, White and Royal Blue Movie Review: A Charming and Funny Rom-Com with a Political Twist
Are you looking for a movie that will make you laugh, cry, swoon, and cheer? Do you love stories about forbidden romance, royal drama, and political intrigue? Do you want to see a diverse and talented cast of actors bring to life a bestselling novel by Casey McQuiston? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you should definitely watch Red, White and Royal Blue on Prime Video.
Red, White and Royal Blue is a movie adaptation of the novel of the same name, which tells the story of a secret relationship between the son of the U.S. president and the prince of England. The movie, directed by Matthew Lopez and written by Lopez and Ted Malawer, stars Taylor Zakhar Perez as Alex Claremont-Diaz, Nicholas Galitzine as Prince Henry, and Uma Thurman as President Ellen Claremont. The movie was released on August 11, 2023, on Amazon Prime Video.
In this article, we will give you an honest and spoiler-free review of the movie, covering its plot, characters, themes, and overall quality. We will also tell you why we think this movie is worth watching and what makes it stand out from other rom-com.
The movie follows Alex, a charismatic and ambitious young man who is the son of the first female president of the United States. He has a long-standing rivalry with Henry, the handsome and reserved heir to the British throne. When their feud goes public and threatens to damage the diplomatic relations between their countries, they are forced to pretend to be friends for the sake of appearances.
However, as they spend more time together, they discover that they have more in common than they thought, and they develop genuine feelings for each other. But their relationship is not without challenges, as they have to deal with the pressures of their families, the media, and their own personal struggles.
Characters and Performances
The movie benefits from the chemistry and charisma of its two leads, who deliver charming and nuanced performances. Perez is perfect as Alex, who is confident, witty, and passionate, but also vulnerable, insecure, and conflicted. Galitzine is equally impressive as Henry, who is reserved, polite, and dutiful, but also rebellious, adventurous, and sensitive.
They have a natural rapport and a believable progression from enemies to friends to lovers. They also have some hilarious and touching moments with their respective families and friends, who are played by a talented supporting cast.
Some of the notable supporting characters are:
- Nora Holleran (played by Lana Condor), Alex’s best friend and roommate who is a genius hacker and social media expert.
- June Claremont-Diaz (played by Zendaya), Alex’s sister who is a popular fashion blogger and aspiring journalist.
- Bea Fox (played by Florence Pugh), Henry’s sister who is a rebellious artist and activist.
- Pez (played by Jordan Fisher), Henry’s best friend who is a flamboyant billionaire and philanthropist.
- Rafael Luna (played by Oscar Isaac), a charismatic senator from Texas who is running against President Claremont in the upcoming election.
- Oscar Diaz (played by Javier Bardem), Alex’s father who is a former congressman and a loving parent.
- Queen Mary (played by Helen Mirren), Henry’s grandmother who is the reigning monarch of England and a strict but caring matriarch.
Themes and Messages
Red, White and Royal Blue is not just a rom-com; it is also a movie that tackles some of the political and social issues that affect the lives of the characters, such as LGBTQ rights, immigration, racism, sexism, and mental health.
The movie does not shy away from addressing these topics in a realistic and respectful way. The movie also showcases the diversity and culture of both America and Britain, as well as their similarities and differences.
The movie has several messages that resonate with the audience:
- Love is love: The movie celebrates love in all its forms, regardless of gender or nationality. The movie shows that love can overcome any obstacle or prejudice.
- Be yourself: The movie encourages the characters to be true to themselves and follow their dreams. The movie shows that being yourself can lead to happiness and success.
- Hope for change: The movie inspires hope and optimism in a world that often seems bleak and divided. The movie shows that change is possible if people work together for a common goal.
Red, White and Royal Blue is a delightful and heartwarming rom-com that balances humor, romance, and drama. The movie captures the spirit and tone of the novel while also adding some changes and updates to make it more relevant and appealing to the modern audience.
The movie has a fast-paced plot that keeps the viewers engaged from start to finish. The movie has a colorful cinematography that reflects the mood and personality of the characters. The movie has a catchy soundtrack that features songs from various genres and artists. The movie has a high production value that makes it look and feel like a blockbuster.
Red, White and Royal Blue is a movie that will make you laugh, cry, swoon, and cheer. It is a movie that you will want to watch again and again. It is a movie that you will not regret watching.
If you are looking for a fun and romantic movie to watch this summer, look no further than Red, White and Royal Blue on Prime Video. You can watch the official trailer here and check out the IMDb page here . Trust us, you will love it.