Billy Joel, the legendary singer-songwriter and New York icon has announced that he will end his monthly residency at Madison Square Garden in 2024. The residency, which started in 2014, has been a historic and record-breaking run that has entertained millions of fans from all over the world.
What is Billy Joel’s Madison Square Garden residency?
Billy Joel’s Madison Square Garden residency is a series of monthly concerts that he has been performing at the famous New York City arena since 2014. He became the first-ever music franchise of the venue and has been playing one show per month as long as there is demand.
The residency has been a huge success, with every show selling out and receiving rave reviews from critics and fans alike. Joel has performed 136 shows so far, breaking his own record for the most consecutive performances by any artist at MSG. He has also broken the record for the most lifetime performances by any artist at MSG, with 60 more than any other artist.
Joel has played his classic hits and deep cuts from his extensive catalog, as well as covers and surprises. He has also invited special guests to join him on stage, such as Bruce Springsteen, Miley Cyrus, John Mayer, Tony Bennett, Paul Simon, Sting, and many more.
When will Billy Joel end his Madison Square Garden residency?
Billy Joel will end his Madison Square Garden residency in July 2024, with his 150th-lifetime show at the venue. The first of his final ten shows will be on October 20, 2023.
Joel said that he was grateful for the opportunity to play at “the world’s greatest arena” and thanked his fans for their support. He also said that he will continue to tour and perform at other venues.
“It’s hard to believe we’ve been able to do this for ten years,” Joel said. “Madison Square Garden is more than just our office, it’s home.”
“It’s hard to end – even 150-lifetime shows, but as I said, we’re not abandoning New York, we’re just spending a bit more time someplace else,” he added.
How to get tickets for Billy Joel’s final shows?
Tickets for Billy Joel’s final shows will go on sale on Ticketmaster on June 9, 2023. Citi card members will have first access to presale tickets from 10 a.m. ET on June 5 to 10:00 p.m. ET on June 8. Subscribers of the Verizon customer loyalty program, Verizon Up, will also have access to presale tickets from June 6 to June 8.
The concerts are expected to sell out quickly, just like the rest of Joel’s shows throughout his residency. Concert organizers expect congestion during online ticket sales due to high demand. Tickets will also be available at the Madison Square Garden box office on June 10.
What are some of the highlights and achievements of Billy Joel’s Madison Square Garden residency?
Billy Joel’s Madison Square Garden residency has been a remarkable achievement and a testament to his extraordinary talent, beloved catalog, and dedicated fanbase. Some of the highlights and achievements of his residency include:
- Selling 1.6 million tickets to fans from all 50 states and 120 countries.
- Received several honors and accolades from New York officials and institutions, such as having July 18, 2018, proclaimed as “Billy Joel Day” by then-Governor Andrew Cuomo; having a banner raised in his honor at MSG; having a street named after him near MSG; and being inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame.
- Donating $1 million to Save the Music Foundation in 2017 to help restore music education programs in public schools across New York City.
- Performing with his daughter Alexa Ray Joel at several shows, including on her birthday in December 2019.
- Celebrating his own birthday on stage with special guests and cake every year since 2014.
- Playing “New York State of Mind” with former President Bill Clinton on saxophone in November 2014.
- Performing “Piano Man” with Jimmy Fallon and J.K. Simmons in January 2015.
- Singing “Happy Birthday” to Tony Bennett with Lady Gaga in August 2016.
- Playing “You May Be Right” with Bruce Springsteen in July 2018.
- Singing “Don’t Stop Believin’” with Steve Perry in October 2019.
- Performing “Let It Be” with Paul McCartney in December 2019.
Billy Joel is one of the most successful and influential artists of all time, and his Madison Square Garden residency has been a showcase of his musical legacy and his love for New York. His final shows will be a celebration of his career and his fans and a farewell to his home away from home. Don’t miss the chance to see the Piano Man live at MSG before he says goodbye.