69th National Film Awards: Stars Shine at the Ceremony
The 69th National Film Awards ceremony was held on Monday, October 17, 2023, in New Delhi. The awards were presented by President Droupadi Murmu to the winners of the year 2021. The ceremony was attended by several celebrities from the film industry, who expressed their gratitude and happiness for being honoured with the prestigious awards.
Highlights of the 69th National Film Awards Ceremony
- The Best Actor award went to Telugu superstar Allu Arjun for his performance in Pushpa: The Rise.
- The Best Actress award was shared by two Bollywood actresses, Alia Bhatt and Kriti Sanon, for their performances in Gangubai Kathiawadi and Mimi respectively.
READ ALSO | Nanami Kento: The Salaryman Turned Sorcerer
- The Best Feature Film award went to Rocketry: The Nambi Effect, a biographical drama based on the life of former ISRO scientist Nambi Narayanan.
- The Best Popular Film award went to RRR, a period action drama directed by SS Rajamouli.
- The Dada Saheb Phalke Award, India’s highest film honour, went to legendary actress Waheeda Rehman.
List of Winners
The following table shows the list of winners of the 69th National Film Awards in different categories:
|Best Feature Film||R Madhavan (director)||Rocketry: The Nambi Effect|
|Best Popular Film||SS Rajamouli (director)||RRR|
|Best Director||Nikhil Mahajan||Godavari|
|Best Actor||Allu Arjun||Pushpa: The Rise|
|Best Actress||Alia Bhatt and Kriti Sanon||Gangubai Kathiawadi and Mimi|
|Best Supporting Actor||Pankaj Tripathi||Mimi|
|Best Supporting Actress||Pallavi Joshi||The Kashmir Files|
|Best Male Playback Singer||Kaala Bhairava||RRR|
|Best Female Playback Singer||Shreya Ghoshal||Iravin Nizhal|
|Best Music Direction||MM Keeravaani||RRR|
|Best Screenplay||Ritesh Shah||Sardar Udham|
|Best Cinematography||Savita Singh||Godavari|
|Best Editing||Abhijeet Deshpande||Godavari|
|Best Sound Design||Bishwadeep Chatterjee||Sardar Udham|
|Best Costume Design||Veera Kapur Ee||Sardar Udham|
|Best Choreography||Raju Sundaram||RRR|
|Best Special Effects||Srinivas Mohan||RRR|
|Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut of a Director||Vishnu Mohan (director)||Meppadiyan|
|Best Children’s Film||Prashant Nair (director)||Gandhi And Co|
|Dada Saheb Phalke Award||Waheeda Rehman|
Reactions of the Winners
The winners of the National Film Awards shared their reactions and emotions on the red carpet and on social media. Some of the reactions are:
- Allu Arjun: “I am very happy and proud to receive this award. It is a double achievement for me to win a commercial film. I dedicate this award to my fans and my team who worked hard for this film.”
- Alia Bhatt: “I am grateful and humbled to receive my first National Award. It is a pinch-me moment for me. I thank Sanjay sir for giving me this opportunity and Ranbir for being my pillar of strength.”
- Kriti Sanon: “I am blessed and fortunate to have played such a layered role. It felt right even before I started shooting. I thank Laxman sir, Pankaj sir, and the entire team for making this film possible.”
- R Madhavan: “I am overwhelmed and speechless to receive this honour for my directorial debut. It was a challenging and rewarding journey to make this film. I thank my team and my family for their support.”
- Waheeda Rehman: “I am honoured and humbled to receive this award. It is a recognition of my work and my passion for cinema. I thank my fans and my colleagues for their love and appreciation.”
The National Film Awards are the most prestigious and coveted awards in the Indian film industry, which recognise the excellence and diversity of Indian cinema across languages and genres. The awards are decided by a jury of eminent film personalities, who watch and evaluate hundreds of films every year. The awards are presented by the President of India in a ceremony that is attended by the winners, dignitaries and guests. The awards are also telecast live on various channels for the viewers to watch and celebrate the achievements of their favourite films and stars.